Followers

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Southwest Flower Bed Adds Beauty

The first project worked on this morning is the Southeast flower bed.  Carol gave me the suggestion this morning to got to work.  After some nudging from Carol, I thought it best to begin the preparations for this bed.  Several days ago I brought in a lot of compost.  I dug up more weeds and then began spreading the compost in and even layer of the bed.  I tried to till the soil and compost together.  The compost was to deeps and the bottom soil was dry and hared.    The photo shows the east side of the bed.  That which looks deeper is a shadow.
Below is the west end.
I brought out Wave petunias, State Fair zinnias, geraniums, and two other different zinnias.  The tall at the back, the small zinnias on both sides, next the geraniums, then the Wave petunias, and more small zinnias at the bottom in the front.  We also planted several different perennials on the east end of the bed.  I dug the holes and Carol removed the plant from the pot and put them in the holes that I made.  The finished bed is pictured below.  We then put the water on it.
We stored the potatoes in the garage all winter.  We were not able to eat them all and they soon become wrinkled and soft.  I brought one bucket to the garden and dumped it.  There were a lot of new potatoes showing the effort of the original potatoes to reproduce.  I brought them into the house and may have them for dinner tomorrow.
Here are the little potatoes.
The Saliva pachyphylla looked so pretty that I just had to take a picture of it.
I want to plant watermelons and other vine crops in the space north of the Iris. The base for it is a half inch garden hose.  I can but it away for the winter.  I went to Fillmore to get some parts.  This is the end of the hose that I have kinked it.  I kinked it and used a section of PVC pipe to hold the king in place.  I did the same for the other end.
I hooked a pressure regulator to the hose bib.  with the tee the water will run in both directions.  
I drilled a hole in the hose and stuck in a narrow tubing to deliver water to the plants.  I had to wire the tubing to the hose so the pressure would to blow it out.  I then hooked a lead emitter to the end of the tubing.  Turned the water on and got it watered.


Comments and suggestions welcomed

No comments:

Post a Comment