Followers

Friday, November 18, 2016

Garage Organization and Thickness Plainer

I was in the garage a big part of the day organizing and cleaning.  The work bench is so covered with nuts and bolts and some tools that I can't do any work there.  It seems if there is a flat surface anywhere, ie, table, bench, table saw, plainer, and radial arm saw it soon gets covered with junk.  I was able to get most off the workbench and radial saw.  Next week  I will finish up and do a little more.

I have had this Delta Thickness planer for 25 years.  I used it to most for most of the finish work on our house.  I replaced the blades once, but it never did work right.  I removed the saw dust in the table saw.  The gear that raises and lowers the blade it hard to turn.  I cleaned it up.  I would help if I lubricated the gear, but that catches the dust. There may be some way to wax it, which would make it easier to crank.  Under the extended saw table, I found the out feed support.  There was not enough room on the plainer base.  Whenever I planed a board the planer blade gouge the end.  I deliberately cut the board longer and then trim the gouged end. 

I removed the planer.  I found a 3/4 inch piece of plywood that was wide and long enough to make a larger base.  I trimmed it to the right size and with grabber screws attached firmly to the original base.   There were a lot of paper staples in the wood that I pulled out.  With my belt sander I smoothed off the top.  Before the plainer would slide to the west side.  I fixed that problem also.  There four small scraps of wood.  two on the near side and two on the other side.   Below you can see the black out-feed table on the right.  I shouldn't call it a table, because it so small.  I put several pieces of wood of different lengths.  It worked perfectly.
Carol interrupted me for a short ride around town.  On second west and about third north there are some old out building and manger for cattle.  When cattle eat, the dominant cow will push the other animal out of the way.  The manger in the picture is just like the one my dad had.  It is made out a 2 inch 2 by 12 cut diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment