Followers

Friday, October 21, 2016

Carving the Pumpkin

We dug over half or our potatoes yesterday.  The ground was too hard.  The sprinkle run on them for a couple of hours.  This afternoon Carol and I began to dig.  I dug and she gathered the into buckets.  It was pretty muddy and there were a lot of volunteer carrots.  We also dug themI left them on the lawn for a couple of hours while I cleaned the carrots.  No picture.  Pictured below are all the potatoes that we dug.  They are grade according to size.  The largest are in the top right bucket.  There is more than enough for us.
We bought a pumpkin a couple of weeks ago.  I was going to carve it a couple of days ago, but forgot, and didn't want to start after the sun had gone down.  I went online to get some ideas.  I then looked at pumpkin carvers on utube. I then made a design to work from.
I got some of my wood carving tools together.  The worst part of carving a pumpkin is removing the seed.  I used spoons and a curved scrape used in concave wood projects.  It was almost perfect removing the slimy seeds and fibers.   On the left is the scraper; next is a little gouge used for carving the whiskers.  The longer one is a small gouge used for carving around all of the openings.  One right is a saw type tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment