Followers

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Working Around the Yard

We have several hose bibs that leak.  They need to be replaced to save on the cost of water.  We drove to Fillmore.  I picked some up at Ropers.  The one east of the house was leaking the most.  I had a difficult time removing it. My short pipe wrench would not turn it off.  The bigger one didn't work either.  I used the big hammer method. I put the wrench to the hose bib and hit the end with the hammer.  I hit it harder and harder.  finally it started to turn just the littlest amount.

Below is the pipes that are connected to the well.  I had to buy a new union. I glued the short nipple to the union and the other end to the ell.  At the bottom is a female adapter that I attached to the pressure tank.  I taped it Teflon tape and tightened with a pipe ranch to where I could tighten it no more.  I then undone the union and glued the rest of the parts together.  I turned the pump on.  There was another leak.  It was the gate valve.
The phot below from left to right shows a nipple, then the gate valve, another nipple, and then the union.  The size of all was 1 1/4 inches.  The union was the hardest to remove.  It was difficult to tell which way to turn the union.  The small pipe wrench wouldn't work.  I used a 14 inch wrench.  I ended up turning is clock wise.  I put the wrench on and pounded the end with a heavy hammer.  It didn't move.  I pounded harder and harder.  It finally turned a little.  Eventually I got it off.  Using the same method I removed a gate valve leaving the left nipple in place.  There is a heavy duty vice in the garage which held the gate valve firmly and with a hammer and wrench, I took it all apart.  A tripe to the hardware store for a gate valve and back.  I put it all together using Teflon tape.  The next morning I was able to get water to the garden.
I fixed an other tap that had a hose bib attracted to each end of a tee. The ball valve froze  and has a crack in it.  It works okay of it is all the way on or all the way off.  Put partly own it sprays through the break.

We have a lilac tree next to the garage.  Every winter some of the branches die.  Some are mostly dead with one live branch at the end.  I have a saws all that head a  metal cutting blade.  I removed it and after some difficulty put in another blade for cutting wood.  With a ladder and an extension card I was able to remove a few branches.
 Lisa gave us some dahlia tuber last week. We planted them this afternoon.  There are drip lines in this garden.  I dug a hole under every other emitter until we had them all planted.  We put a sprinkler on the north end and after thirty minutes I moved to the south end for another thirty minutes.  It should be looking pretty in about six weeks. 
A couple of lilac bushes are struggling.  We pruned several of them.  I used the chainsaw to cut some of the larger branches.  It is pretty sick looking.  We hope that it will branch out some.

No comments:

Post a Comment