Followers

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Harvesting


I was working on another cage for the tomatoes.  I have three to go.   It seems like we just picked the beans,, but after breakfast we picked another nice batch of snap beans.  Carol gave them to one of out neighbors. 

This morning I washed two bags of raisins and drained the water out through a colander. After they had drained for an hour, I spread them out on a towel and by lunch time they were dry. 
I put them back into their quart zip bags.  There are four bags.  The first two are the ones that I washed.  The second two bags were washed before I put them in the bags.

There are enough grapes in the tote that is left to fill four more bags.
Our melon patch has done very well.  The variety is Topaz.  They need to be picked as soon as a little yellow appears in the skin.  It is my favorite melon.
The smell of the orange flesh reaches across the room.  I save seeds from year to year.  These seeds are not sold in any of the seed catalogs.  It weighs about eight pounds.
 We have been drying plums in the fruit dryer in the house.  I have removed the pit without cutting the plum in half.  First I used a small tube and pushed it into the stem end of the plum and forced the pit out the blossom end.  That did not work very well.  I used a very sharp nail and pushed it into the stem end.  That was difficult.  I took a slice off the blossom end which exposed the end of the pit.  That was a little better.  I made a slice in the end and used a small spoon like tool and fished out the pit.  Conclusion.  That takes to much time.  Finally, a light comes on, I will dry the plum with the pit inside.  We will see how it goes.
The forecast was for rain.  Carol wanted to pick the peppers before the rain and the mud. This is what we got. 



No comments:

Post a Comment