Followers

Monday, January 4, 2016

Making Blocks

My table saw sled is finished.  I left the sled and scraps of wood on the table saw Saturday evening.  I cleaned up this morning.  Sometimes I can't find my check book and the receipts piled in a stack by my printer.  I made a small wood box  to hold the receipts and my check book.  The receipts go in first and the check book on top of them.  It is setting in a prominent place on my desk. 

I used the sled to cut the pieces.  It worked out pretty well.  There is a base, two sides and the back.  I glued the two sides two the base.  The sides and back are made1/8 inch plywood. The base is made out of 3/4 inch pine.  I glued the two sides to the base.

 While they were drying I filled five tube trays and planted one of them with Salvia pachyphylla seed.  After lunch we went to Fillmore to make a deposit and check on the house insurance.  Carol cashed her check and I took her to the grocery store.  I checked on the house insurance while she was at the store.  The insurance was okay.  Lastly we got some gas and got and ice cream cone.

I glued the back on the box.  While it was drying I started making the blocks. I cut a two inch strip from some cedar that I have had in the garage ever since we moved to Holden.   I cut it to 2x2 by 7 feet long.  I run it through the thickness plainer so all side were equal.

 Next I cut it into blocks.  I made several adjustment and made 36 blocks.  I needed only 27.  I didn't get the blocks square.  I glued them together to make the cube.  One the left is a cube puzzle I made over 30 years ago.  On the right is one I made today.   I hurried with this and did not get accurate cuts.









No comments:

Post a Comment