Followers

Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day

There was a spider in the sink and this is a frequent occurrence.  We work hard to eliminate spiders in the house, however there is a lot of places for them to hide.  I got this picture.  His head is facing up.
Our strawberry patch is suffering.  This morning I fixed.  Carol hose for the front lawn kinks all the time.  I found her another hose, which is a longer and is more resistant to kinks.  I took it to the strawberry patch, and put a sprinkler on it.  I hooked it to a new hose bib and turned on the water.  I started on the west end and every forty-five minutes, I pull the hose to the east.
I have had these sweet potato cutting for a long time.  They have been in the kitchen wind and finally began to grow roots.  I little later came the stems.  When the stems were about eight inches long, I cut them off and put them in another bottle and soon they began to grow roots.  Today we planted them in the garden.  In years past they have been hard to dig.  Today Robert and I built a raised bed.  I have a pile of lumber and in the pile were 2 by 12 board 88 inches long.  There was a 2 by 10 by 16 feet long.  We ended up with a raised bed eight feet long and about 44 inches wider.  We put it upside down and filled it with compost and recycles potting soil. 

We planted ten rooted cutting and then we planted the three mother plants.  They  were in quart bottles.  One was easy to pull out and we managed to pull the other one out.  The third one was so tight, we had to break the bottle. 
This is how it looked after we got it out.  We planted the whole thing with the leaves above ground.  
Below is the raised bed with the sweet potato vines.  The sprinkler has been running for nearly six hours.  Robert said that the soil was hydrophobia.  I will turn the sprinklers on again tomorrow.
Robert and I worked in house one.  The guys planted four more rows of tomatoes.  They were not watered well enough and were really droopy.   We put in place drip lines the two out rows on the left and the two outer rows on the right side.  They were hooked up to a clock.  The clock came on at eleven and was on for three hours.  Most had revived when I checked on it this evening.
The are fourteen #5 nursery cans with tomatoes growing in them.  They were started in December and they vines  were pretty large.  We used the tractor with posthole digger.  Robert helped with the first six.  He went home and I did the rest.  They are all watered.  I need to support them with tomato cages. 
I also planted six more delicious Tomatoes and two German Giant and two yellow lemon.  I started to clean the weeds form the bed west of house five.  We will plant our summer squash there.


Comments and questions are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment