Followers

Monday, June 12, 2017

Work From AM to PM


First thing after chores was to brace  the pea vines so the wind would not blow them over.   I tied three strings a month ago when they were about eight inches tall.  You see the blue and orange strings on the left.  The third one eight inches above the ground does not show.  This morning I added another string on the right side.  It is the blue string on the bottom right.  The wind was cold and blowing hard today.  It is about the fourth day of hard wind.
Pulling all of the pea vines out of house six and selecting the pods.  Most are to old and their tenderness has gone.  Photo shows some that have been pulled up and near the top of the photo shows those that haven't been pulled up.  The plants next to the bows are weeds.
 Here Carol is removing the pods.
 After we had removed the more tender pods we took them to the where they were washed.  We spent nearly three hours shelling them.  This bowl was nearly full.  Carol puts the peas on a cookie sheet and then puts the sheets in the freezer.
A couple of months ago I planted State Fair zinnias.  They are 6 to 7 inches tall.
 I pinched them, cut the top of each plant, to get them to branch.  They should be very pretty.
I began weeding in house six.  I started with a small dandelion digger.  That was really slow.  I then used the shovel.  That was faster, but a little messy.  I then used a small stirrup hoe which worked better than all the others.  I had be close to the ground and kneeling on the rocks was not much fun.  I tried sitting on a #5 nursery can.  It was too short and my knees were up under my chin.  I then got the sitting thing that had a swivel seat and rolled on four tires.  
 The row I weeded is on the right side of the sitting device.  Each how has two rows of tomato plants.  The plants were laying down in the rows.  I had to move them a little to get at the weeds. This show much of what I did.
 Saturday I planted five of Robert's plants.  I used tomato clip to hold the plant to the arch.
 Last of all I planted Crookneck summer squash and black zucchini squash. I run water down the row.  A week from now there should be some growth.


Comments and questions are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment