Followers

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Saturday and Robert's Friends

Robert, Frank, and Christina were here by eight this morning.  The went right to work stringing the cucumber plants.  After that they began to lay out the drip tape in the South garden.

While they were doing that, I gathered up the frost protection fabric. We used them in mid may when there was a threat of frost.   Some was in house one and the other was in the garden where the corn is planted.  I put it on the driveway.  Carol helped me fold it up.  I am storing them in the north end of house 3.
Back to Robert:  They planted a lot of pepper plants.
 There are two rows of drip tape and three rows of peppers.  All together there is nine rows of peppers.
 They also planted some vine crops.  Squash and watermelons.
 I got the watering system fixed and let the water run for a short time to mark the spot where the emitters are.  Also, the ground would be softened some for digging later on.
 On each side of the garden hose dribble tubing were incerted.
 In the late afternoon I filled the backpack sprayer with weed killer.  I sprayed around the yard and gardens until it was empty.  The picture below was some weeds that I missed several weeks ago.
The first crop of corn is showing silk.  The ears will be small, but it should be good. The later crop is starting to tassel.  The ears will be more natural in size.
 It was after eight when I checked out house one.  There are no strings to hold the tomato plants upright.  Frank brought some four foot bamboo sticks.  I could not get them in the ground deep enough to hold them upright let alone to hold a tomato plant.  I could not pound them in the ground because the bamboo would bow.  I took a half inch pvc pipe a little over three feet long.  I pushed the bamboo in as for as I could.  then slipped the pvc pipe over it and with a mallet I was able to pound it in four or five inches, and with a tomato clip I attached the tomato to the stick.


Comments and questions are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment