Followers

Monday, July 3, 2017

Weeding to Planting

I started the day by weeding the cucumber plants.  I soon switched over to weeding the tomato plants.  By the end of the day I had most of the weeded.  There are some pictures at the end of the day. 

The roses that Lisa and her family gave to Carol began to wilt away.  I threw them out except for the baby's breath.  I picked her some flowers from the garden and she made the floral arrangement pictured below.
This is just an example of what I did to most all of the tomato plants.  The one below has not been weeded or pruned.
This is the same plant but after the weeding and pruning were completed.  You can see where the weeds have been removed and the lower branches have been cut off.  I do that because later on I can hoe out the weeds with less difficulty.
The lawn mower has not been working.  I called Ted from Dearden Equipment to fix it.  I thought I would take it in on Wednesday, but decided to do it today.  I was able to start it, and slowly drive it to the truch and trailer.  I found the ramps and drove it up and one the trailer.  I then drove to Fillmore where I left it at his shop.  I forgot to get pictures of it on the trailer.


I don't have enough baskets for all the tomato plants.  I stretched a string from the plant on the far end to the one closest to the front.  I was then able to drive in the post and get them nearly the same height.  It is hard to see the string.




Most of the watermelon plants that I started a couple of weeks ago were eaten by earwigs. I planted seven new ones this evening.
Watermelon plant which has some earwig damage.  The earwig bait has worked exceptionally well.
Another look at the row of two basket tomato cages.  They are held about 16 inches above the ground by the post and a cap on top.  There is no need for the cage to be at ground level.  The tomato plants can grow 16 inches or more and then grow into the cage.
This is a closer look at double basket tomato cage.  This is one of the first one that I made and it to close to the tomato plant.  We tried to stuff the plant into the lower area of the cage.  It was extremely difficult to do.  Some of the stems were broken.



No comments:

Post a Comment