Followers

Monday, July 31, 2017

Ben and I Make a Great Team



Ben was here right at eight and I hadn't finished my breakfast.  Yesterday, I showed him how to water. He finished and I met him coming in as I was going out.  I had him water the corn and squash.  Before doing this he helped me cut over 90 feet of 9 gage wire.  We cut them into twelve inch pieces.   He held the wire over the wood vise which was twelve inches wide.   I cut them with heavy duty wire cutters.  As he was watering I was bending them into the shape which I wanted.  The picture below shows the twelve inch piece and one that is bent into the proper shape.
The twine holding the plant up is wrapped around the bow and is hooked onto the wire.  Tomato clips hold the tomato plant to the twine.  The picture shows the sky and one of the greenhouse bows.
Ben dumped the soil out of the tubes.   Later we worked in house one untangling the tomato plants.  Some of them had branches over five feet long.  I would cut the those lower branches of the main plant.  I handed them to Ben and he would pull them out.  In the picture below you can see how they are tangled.   We have about five feet to go to be able to walk from one end to the other.   Be went home about eleven and I continued until lunch time.
This afternoon I worked in several of our gardens.  Below is summer squash plants which are beginning to produce crook neck and zucchini.  I have been pruning of the lower leaves and tying the main stem to the post.  Everyday they grow two or three inches.
I planted four gourd plants.  One of them died due to squash bugs, I think.  Pictured below is what I call the pumpkin gourd.  It is shaped like a pumpkin, but about the same size of softball. Today I removed all the male blossoms from the other gourd plants hoping to get some pure seeds of this gourd.   It is over six feet tall  and is loaded with the female bud.
 The watermelons are really doing well.  There are two different watermelon plants that I am training up a small post.  The one below was a late plant and it has grown up about eighteen inches.
 The watermelon plant shown below is about three feet tall and has a small female bud on it.  It is about the size of the point of your little finger
Below is a picture of the watermelon and Topaz melons.  They were planted late in the year but are doing well now.  There are as some call them baby watermelons and baby topaz melons.



Comments and Question are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment