Followers

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Weeding From the West to the East

The first thing this morning was a quick walk out the garden west of house five.  There are a lot of weeds.  Most are grass.  There are purslane, single leaf spurge, and puncture weed.  I spent a little over an hour using a stirrup hoe and a small hand hoe.  Later in the afternoon I raked up the dead weeds.  The are a few mist.  I will get them tomorrow.  The view is the south side of the bed.
This is the west end of the bed.  There is an apple tree to the left.
The potato patch has been growing weeds. There is so much weeding to do.  I finally got around to the potatoes and weeded three rows.  The narrow stirrup hoe makes it pretty easy; even the tall tough weeds.
Yesterday I picked all of the early corn.  We cut it of the cob and is now in the freezer.  The first picture is of the corn.
Here the corn stalks have been removed.  I put them on top of the compost pile. I will plant new corn transplants there next week.  The next crop of corn is on the left and the beans on the right.
There are a lot of weeds in the row of cucumbers.  It is on your hands and knees kind of work.
We drove to Fillmore to make deposit at Zions bank and to the credit union.

A couple of months ago I sprayed the weeds in the iris garden.  I cut the peonies down to the ground so I would not kill them. The next five pictures are of the comeback of the peonies.



The melon garden is really doing well.  I connected another hose to the one there and added fifteen more two foot dribble lines.  I turned the water on.  After it run awhile I dug small holes the collect the water on the end of each dribble line.

I worked some in house one pruning the tomato plants and trellising the tomato plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment