Followers

Monday, August 14, 2017

The day started with cucumbers --- finished with canning


Soon as breakfast was over, I told Carol that I will pick a bucket of Armenian cucumbers and some burpless cucumbers.  Surprise, I came back with two full buckets.  Carol washed them.  She took the Armenians to the post office.  There are a few people that leave their surplus vegetables at the post office.  Ours were gone.  We are taking the burpless cucumbers to Manti for one of the ordinance workers.
One of the rows of tomatoes in house one was leaning to the west.  I pounded a stake in the ground angled a little left of the post.  I tied them together with a wire and it now is plumb or straight up.
I filled a wheelbarrow with the grass clippings, which by now were hot and stinky.  I worked for two house doing this.
I mulched all the strawberry plants.  The didn't do well this year.  There was not any strawberries, period.  I didn't count the loads, but there were a lot of them.

The is a large box elder tree between the grass clipping and the strawberry patch near the garage.  Every time that we walk out to the garden, we have to duck under the hanging branches..   On my first trip with the wheelbarrow,  I had to duck.  I stopped then and tried to start the chainsaw.  I would start.  I grabbed my bow saw and went to work cutting a large branch with small branches hanging down.  It didn't take long until I had it cut down.  I drug it to the trailer.  I will load it later. 


tree picture

Some trays inside house three.  They were full of weeds and I pulled them today.
 On the bench south of house three are trailing daisies.  They were hanging nearly to the ground.  I cut them off.  There needs to be more pruning.
 These strawberry plants are sending out runners.  It is time to propagate.  I hope in the near future.
Below are pictured swish chard.  It has grown so big that it doesn't appear edible.  I dug half of it out, making it easier to pick the tomatoes.
After lunch, I started canning some tomatoes.  Robert picked a bunch of small salad tomatoes.  I boiled them to remove the skin.  I put them in a food processor to break them into small pieces.  I strained them through a calendar, put them in two quart bottles.  I them processed them in boiling water for 50 minutes.
 Here they are in the bottle.
After supper I took the following pictures.  I put a sprinkler on the compost pile to keep it wet and hopefully decompose.
 The watermelon vines are doing well, but the watermelons on the stake are dying before they even get started.  It is black on the bottom edge.
 The pumpkin vine grows twelve inches every day.  There some pumpkins beginning to grow.


Comments and questions are welcomed




No comments:

Post a Comment