Followers

Friday, February 2, 2018

Sharpening and New Bench

I started in the garage after the 8:00 news.
Yesterday at the DI, I bought a small cushion for $2.00 for the tractor and lawnmower.  Ride with comfort now.
I built a base out of a piece of 3/8 plywood.  The sharpener will be more stable with a solid base.  I could only find two lag screws of the right size.  I used an other one that was a little two long.  I used four small washers to keep it from going all the way through the base.
Trying my had at sharpening my a saw blade.  I had to move the sharpener by the open door to let some light come in.  I couldn't see if the carbide tip was sharp.  I pulled the motor lever with my left hand to the tip and with my right hand I turned the blade against the diamond grinder.  Then I pushed the motor back and turned the blade to the next tooth.  I continued doing this until all the teeth are sharp.   
I finished sharpening and tried my first cut.  Yesterday ripped the small board in the photo above in half.  I couldn't go all the way.  It began to smoke and I thought that the sawdust might catch on fire.  I put the sharpened blade on and it cut through that small board with ease.
Four 2x4's are cut to length (37 inches).  Using the doweling jig,  I made three holes on the two outside edges.  For the other two, inside 2x4's, have dowel holes on both edges.  The holes are lined up match each other.  I applied glue to the tip of each dowel and then pounded into the hole.  I applied glue the edges and then clamped the two together.  When I turned one over there was another row of holes.  I better get some dowels into them, I thought. I put in the dowels and discovered I should have left them out.  I had to cut them off and re-drill the holes.  Finally I finished. 
I watched a You Tube video where someone made a larger base for the drill press.  It was a little more complicate than the one in the photo above.  It is made out of a piece of plywood with a runner on the left and right side of the cast iron base.  Another piece of plywood is underneath attached to the two runners.    
I trimmed the dead foliage off the ever bearing strawberries.  Where should I plant them.
 I received some free tomato seeds.  I prepared a jumbo six pack for planting the seeds.  The potting soil was really dry.  I put water in the little black tray.  The water will soak up.  
I planted the Tasmanian Chocolate tomato seeds.  It is a determinate tomato plant  that gets about three feet tall.
I started a new piano bench this afternoon.  I really had a problem with it.  It is all glued up waiting for tomorrow to remove the clamps.  The beginning of the 2x4 challenge.



Comments and questions are welcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment