Followers

Friday, February 16, 2018

Re-building

It has been a pretty busy day.  I printed a picture of Carol's grandfather, father, uncle and grandmother.  The print queue had three pictures waiting.  Finally I was able clear the queue and print the picture.
The brackets that I made a couple of days ago were too short.  This morning I made some new ones.  I took several short cuts this time.  Instead of cutting them to length, ripping them to width and depth, I cut them to length and glued the three pieces of twelve inch 2x4's and then glued them together.  I clamped the together with pipe clamps underneath.  I then added two more clamps on top and waited until after lunch to finish cutting them to size.
There was still not time for lunch.  In greenhouse two I planted one six pack with Burpless Cucumbers.  One seed in each cell.  I put them a little tub of water.  The water soaked up and wetted all the seeds.
This tomato plant which I dug up last fall has been growing in house two since then. It three main branches.  I cut one off and staked the other two with bamboo stakes and tomato clips.  The stakes are four feet tall.
There were three tomatoes at the bottom.  Two were ripe and one, the smallest one, was green. I cut the cluster of and that is when I saw the green one.  The largest tomato fell from the stem the result of a small bump.  It looks like it will be a excellent salad tomato because of the easy picking.  Might be able to shake the plant and ripe tomatoes will fall off into large baskets.  They are about 2 1/2 inches long.  The Juliet tomato has the same picking characteristics.

I made a salad for lunch using the two small tomatoes, beet greens and some golden chard.  I other things in the salad are:  small sausage, peas from the freezer, raisons, cheese, and sunflower seeds.
Weeds have been a problem in the greenhouse as well as in the garden.  The weed above is a grassy weed that the next generation of plants will start in a month.
The underside of the bench top had a slight convex  that caused the top bracket to rock. The top was two wide to go through my twelve inch thickness plainer.  The first bench I made was twelve inch wide.  I ripped about one inch off the side.  I then run it through the thickness plainer un-numbered times until the convex surface was changed to straight.
I finished the two brackets.  Trimmed to the right size, softened the all the edges except the bottom edges.  It took me a long time to make a jig two get the holes in the right location and bet the right size  of bit.  I will use lag screws to attach the bracket to the bench.  In doing it this way I can take the bench apart for shipping, or I should say that I can put it in the trunk of the car.  



Comments and questions are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment