Followers

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Most of the Day with the Piano Bench

Started again on the piano bench.
Above are the two legs, but they are not wide enough.
I glued on another small strip to each leg to make them wider. The brown on the left side is the strip that I added. 
The piano bench that I stained last week is a little bit warped.  With a small hand plane I planed across the grain so the two legs would fit without rocking.  The white area is where I planed it.
The close up shows the underside of the bench with the plane at the far edge.  I drew a pair of parallel lines with the black marker.  I then planed between the lines.
I had a lot of problems with the trestle.  The tenons were badly shaped.  They were so bad that I was going to make a new trestle.  I figured out a way to repair it.  I would make the tenons smaller.
I cut the two legs in half following the grain.  Then I nibbles away a half mortise one each half of the leg.  It took a long time to get them close to being right. I trimmed the mortise the checked for a tenon fit; then I would do it again.  There was not a seamless or tight fit.  If I had a band saw, I could do a better job and do it faster.  With the doweling jig  I was able to glue the two halves back together.
 Here, I did a dry fit with all of the parts.  However, the bench is upside down.
I sanded all of the parts and then stained them.  I used a sponge brush to apply the stain which I had in a small ice cream container.  The finished mortise is plainly visible.



Questions and comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment