Followers

Friday, February 9, 2018

Major Tomato Planting



Yesterday, I filled the cracks and holes with Elmer's Putty.  This morning I sanded both benches, even though, only one bench is shown.  There were numerous cracks and low spots that did not get filled.  I applied more putty.  I may sand it again in the morning.
I am having trouble with the jointer.  It is set for cutting 3/16 of an inch of wood which makes it hard to hold and to keep edge of the wood against the fence.  There is a wheel to turn to move feed table up of down,  When I turn it nothing moves.  I worked on it for over an hour.  I sprayed WD-40 on all parts that should move, but nothing moved.  I loosened some small bolts.  That didn't help.  There is a knob that looks like I could pull it back and that would release the feed table.  Using a wrench, I loosed the knob nut.  I tapped the feed table with a small hammer to jar it loose.  Finally the knob pulled loose and it was fixed.  I then tested it with several boards and was able to make a smooth face or edge on the board.

I decided to do some tomato planting.  The potting soil was so dry and dusty.  I gave it a lot of water and stirred it in.  It takes a couple of hours for the soil to completely soak up the water.  I left it like that and begin to get the tomato seeds.

I gathered up some of the seeds.  I have a computer and a label printer in the little bedroom.  I laid the seed packets in alphabetical order on the bed.  Then I made two labels of the seeds.  One to attach to a plastic stick and the other one to keep in a journal of some type as a record of what I planted and when it was planted.
The above tray is a recycled plug tray in which I got liners for different flowers which I grew to a larger size before selling.  It has seven rows with fifteen cells in each row.   Or look at it another way there are fifteen rows with seven cells in each row.  I planted seven seed of each variety.  I watered it and placed it on the heating mat.  Two of the three heating mats are plugged in.
Here is a close-up of the labels.  Zoom in a little and you can read them.

I need a box to hold my seeds where I can keep them in alphabetical order.  I had a plan, but I really struggle to get it right.  I got all pieces glued up.  I am letting the glue set all night.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment