Followers

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Hanging Totes

Early this afternoon I started work in the garage.
It took me over an hour put up the rail that is left of the blue tote.  I had to make two rails for the green totes several months ago.  Today, I used scrap material I had in the garage and a 2x4x44 inches long from the greenhouse.  I ripped both sides of the 2x4 so both sides were flat and three inches wide so it was a 2x3.  I screwed the long piece of plywood to the bottom and three short pieces to the top in which I would screw it to the bottom of the trusses.

I got a folding ladder to make a scaffold that I could stand on to help me attach the rail to the ceiling.  I screwed the north end into the first rafter.  I then braced the south end to the ceiling with a long furring strip.  I finally finished.  The totes are empty.  I will fill them another day.
I glued these pieces together to make the foot and top rail of the bench.  I tried different ways to remove the dried glue.  I used the belt sander which was not very  successful.  The scraper was a little better.  I ran the big piece through the thickness planer.  That worked.  

Next I ripped it into four pieces.  Two for the foot and two for the top rail.  I ripped them again to have them about 2x2x12 inches.  The four pieces are shown below.
The belt on the belt sander broke.  I put a new belt on it and that also broke.  The picture is above.
I put on new sanding pad on the orbital sander.  This worked much better than the belt sander.
Above is the top rails.  The bench top is not flat but slightly bowed.  I use the planer to remove some of the crown so the rails would fit with out rocking.  I planed only the area below the two rails.



Comments and questions are welcomed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment