Followers

Monday, February 12, 2018

Spilt the Stain


I built this rack for storing the microphone cables in our Church.  They get twisted and tangled.  After a search on You Tube I learned how to do it.  I planned to make it out of oak, but I built the proto-type out of an eight 2x4.  I made some pegs, but they were too big.  I cut them off and replaced them
with some smaller. 

I put on some latex gloves and I then began to stain it.  I used a little piece of an old bath towel.  I stained front and back, bottom and top.  I set it down and it slipped and tipped over the stain.  There was a big puddle of stain.   The above photo is how it looked.  I dabbed the little rag in the stain and finished the project.  With the router, I softened all the edges of the bench.
There was a lot of stain left on my work bench.  So I stained the bench top on which I am currently working.  
Still more stain.  So, I applied stain to the trestle bench that I finished a couple of weeks ago.  I used up all the stain on the workbench and began using stain from the can. 

The table saw is somewhat dangerous.  It is so easy to get careless and get a finger or thumb in the blade.  Also, piece of wood gets caught between the blade and the fence and come flying back with great force.  I put a little piece of wood in frond of the fence and come flying back in the direction of the person behind the saw.  
I glued a piece of wood parallel to the fence and about an inch lower that the top of the fence.  The operator keeps his fingers on of the small piece of wood which is a very safe distance from the spinning blade.  
I worked on the foot and shoulder of the bench.  The last thing I did was prepare the trestle.  I used the router to soften the edges.  I made tenens on both ends of the trestle.  

Comments and questions are welcome.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment