Followers

Thursday, July 12, 2018

It Rained and Rained Some More


My neighbor called last night and said he would be here at 8:30 this morning to get the rooster.  I caught the rooster.  It wasn't easy.  I used a hook, but could get him.  I chased him form one end of the chicken run to the other.  I finally grabbed him by his wing.  I tied his legs together.
Yesterday, I prepare the three hog panels so I could move them  today.  Mickey Steimle, a neighbor of ours got the rooster.  He helped me move the hog panels.  Moving them was easy.  It was a little harder to get them lined up and secure them.  The brick is to hold them off the ground.
Carol and I planted the Blue Lake Pole beans.  There are two plants spaced eight inches apart.  There were a few extra plants which between those planted earlier.
This is not a very clear picture.  A couple of our chickens fly out over the grape vines.  I cut off the vines hanging in the chicken run.  I thought that I would put some welded wire above the vines.  The chickens can fly on top of the hen house and then fly out.  
This yellow jacket nest is under the hen house shade.  The blue looks like the blue sky, but is a blue panel.  This evening I captured this nest with a plastic shopping bag.  The was another nest in the pine tree west of the chicken run.  I most of it, but one of the yellow jackets fell and hit the back of my hand.  It gave me a mild sting.  
There were several good rain storms late this afternoon.  It was much cooler in house six, which is where I dug up all the plant material which some were pretty small, but most were tall. They are lined up one the row south of the center isle.  There will be two rows of tomatoes there.  
Here is looking at the weeds that I dug up, but from the south end.
There are hundreds if not thousands of grasshoppers in house six.  This is one in the tall annual grass.
The grasshopper have been eating the above cabbage type plant.  I sprayed it with Sevin insecticide.  I also sprayed the grass below.  I sprayed from both sides and put it on pretty thick.

There is a leaky pipe west of the garage where the yellow jackets come for a drink.  I covered it with welded fencing and secured it to the ground with landscape staples.  I then prepared a quart of sevin and poured it in the water.  The fencing keeps the cats and chicken from getting a drink.  Here's hoping that the yellow jackets take a drink and die.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment