Followers

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Cleaning Pad One

I pruned all the tomato plants in house one.  I tried to get finished before it was to hot.  I also tied the new growth the twine.
The weeds were terribly thick and tall on the north row in house six.  I started hoeing them out on hand and knees.  I tried shoveling and that didn't work very well.  Using a long handled hoe worked the best.  You can see the weeds that I dug out to the right of the shovel.  It was mostly the same to the end of the row.  I did not water them today.  I will stir them up some in the morning to allow the soil around the roots to dry.
I put upside down tree baskets over the tomato plants.  They make the best tomato cages. I usually use three per plant.  I sprayed the weeds on the north row of tomato plants last week and they are dying.
I started to clean a little space for some plants to be watered automatically on pad one.  This evening I cleaned out a large space using a shovel and hoe.  I made a pile of soil, leaves, and other plant material.  Mostly grasses. I shortened the watering time by twenty minutes and watered every other day instead of every third day.  The plants that I put out a couple of days ago got a little to dry.
the above photo is looking to the south.  Below is looking to the west.
I started using the broom to sweep away the dirt.  The blower worked a lot better.  There is a weed barrier, but it doesn't stop seeds that blow in.
I debated this one in my mind.  I was and then I wasn't.  Finally I decided to plant forty-eight Orient Express  Hybrid.  The package said 100 seeds.  I will water them in the morning.  My plan is to transplant them on the south side of house six about eighteen inches apart.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment