Followers

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Completed One Thing After Another

Watched the new, had breakfast, and went to work.
Yesterday, when I let the chickens out of the hen house, there was a lot of water running.  The above picture is pretty fuzzy, but there was a breach in the pipe in the center and a little bit to the left.  I shut off the water and  started to dig up the pipe.  I had to bail out a lot of water, but finally got it.
I dug up the pipe and pulled it loose.  Inside the ell there is a white PVC that brings the water from house four.  It is a pretty muddy mess.  I washed the two ends that will be joined together.  I went to work on another project to let it dry up.

Last week I covered the carrots with black folded weed barrier.  This morning I began building a poly cover.
The above photo shows the completed project.  Under the poly is the black weed barrier, and under that are the carrots.  They will be protected from and freezing this winter.
I made weights out of several 2x4's that were nearly seven feet long.  There are two pieces on each side.  The poly is put between the two pieces and held together by screws.  
There were two conduit pipes that were two tall.  One on each side.  I pulled the up and cut off about twelve inches.  I then drove them into the ground so the top was a little bit below the to of the raised bed.  The poly easily covers the weed barrier s show in the photo at the beginning of this section.  
Back to the chicken run and the water pipe.  It was pretty dry.  I applied cement two each end of the pipe, pushed them together, and twisted a little so the hose bib was pointed up.  I was going to turn on the water tonight but forgot.
I cut down the rest of the corn on this row which was frozen several weeks ago..  I put it on a compost pile north of the north garden.
 I found four ears of corn that looked like they might be good eating.  I got a picture of only one.  I ate one for lunch which tasted pretty good.  There is a possibility of  a late planting of corn that matures and then there is a frost the kills the corn.  It could it stay in the garden and few ears could be picked each day for dinner.
I stacked these tree baskets on a piece of plywood.

I am considering making a lean to greenhouse either on the west side of the garage or the south end of the garage.
I have five fifty-five gallon barrels that could be filled with water and place inside of the greenhouse to help keep the green house warm during the winter.  A bench would  be on top of the barrels.
Five upright barrels side to side in straight line would require a greenhouse fifteen feet wide.
The above photo is at the south end of the garage.  If the greenhouse were place here there could be three barrels on the west side and two barrels on the east side.  Benches could be on top of the barrels.

Now to house six.  The elder berry shrub was cut down several weeks ago.  It took me a couple of hours to remove all of the branches and leaves.
I started picking up a couple of branches and carried them to house five.  Instead, I got the tarp and filled it with branches and leaves and drug it to the shredder.  It took several trips.  I made several trips with the wheel barrow full of leaves and short stems.
I cut off all the branches almost to the ground.  Then I painted the stems with round-up.
I cut the large trunks that were on the out side.  I also painted them with round-up.
I cleaned up all the stems and leaves and put the bench on four blocks.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment