Followers

Thursday, October 17, 2019

More Clean-up - Sowed Peas

Temperature was much warmer during the night.
I let the chickens out and turned on their water.  I watched it for a while and there were no leaks.  I covered the pipes.  All is working well.
I gathered the rest of the corn stalks.  These were the called Serendipity.  They froze when the corn was showing silk.
The peonies have frozen.  Last year I cut them down to the ground in the spring.  This year I am getting them
The tops are gone and in the compost pile which can be seen at the top of the photo.
There is a big pile of plant material that I hope will decompose somewhat during the winter.
The ground is too dry and hard to dig up any of the peonies.  I soaked them with water in the water container.
 I dug up a start from two plants.  I lifted it up with the shovel and carried it to the berm by house five.  Next was to plants some peas,  Green Arrow peas, to be more specific.  
The tiller started up and tilled down the row.
 I went to the west end and turned around and tilled back to the east end.  it made a nice planting bed.
I made a row with a row hoe.
Here it is ready to be planted.
Going back and forth for tools, I walked across these reddish leaves from the crab apple tree.
I planted the seeds in the middle of the row.  The small board is twelve inches long.  It gives and idea of how thick the seeds were planted.  I counted about thirty seeds.
I covered them with about two inches of compost.  Now I am waiting for the winter rains and snow to irrigate them.  I have never planted peas in the fall.  I like to soak the peas for a couple of days in the spring.  If I soaked them in the fall, they would dry out before and rain or snow.
I walked to the south garden where I am considering building a shed.  My feed keep getting tangled in the fishing string that I used to keep out the deer.  It didn't work.  I wound up all of the line on a stick.
Nyleen, Carol's sister wanted a cactus plant to give to her friend.  I put one in a larger pot with more potting soil. I had to soak it in a pan to give it a good watering.
 I marked of the demensions of the shed.  I will be sixteen feet long and twelve feet wide.
The is a small pine tree that was beat up by the deer.
I cut off the main branch that the deer had debarked it.  I cut it off.  It shows where I cut it off.
I am saving one of the cactus plants for us.    I repotted it an put it in a larger pot.  It is in the frying pan to water from the bottom and the top.


Questions and comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment