Followers

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

A Cool, Jacket Wearing Morning


After breakfast this morning we picked the larger cucumber.  With frost looming in the wings Thursday night we decided to pick all of the cucumbers.  Carol did her visiting teaching this morning and some produce with her.  Later she took squash and cucumbers to other friends.

I picked a Topaz melon which had the lightest tint of being ripe.  I check the watermelons also most daily for ripeness.  I picked one today that had a dry tendril.

The gas company turned the gas back on yesterday.  I cut their seal and slowly turned the gas to flow into house two to the furnace.  I struggled lighting the piolet light.  I couldn't hold the plunger down with my finger  I used a lot of matches.  I got some clamps to hold it down.  That didn't work.  I got some small washers to put on top of the plunger.  The washer was too big.  Finally I cut a small pieces of wood which gave me a larger surface for my finger.  I lit the match and lit the piolet light.  I checked it after dark.  The light went out.  I think the wind blew it out.  The north door needs to be closed all the time.

Later we picked the small and smaller cucumbers for a Manti Temple friend.  This afternoon they drove over from Fillmore with a small  bucket and plastic shopping bags.  They came out to house one and they filled the small bucket and two plastic shopping bags.  I filled a five gallon bucket with tomatoes.  They picked some cherry tomatoes.

Every time I water the native plants the weeds in the pots seem to mock me.  This afternoon I pulled the weeds, cut some of the larger ones, and used tweezers for the tiny ones.  Below are some Utah Agave, Fremont Barberry, and a few odd and ends.
Below are Round Leaf Buffaloberry plants in 5 1/2 inch square pots.  There were weeds there also.  Some the plants are dead.  I think they have been getting too much water.
There were three trays of Round Leaf Buffaloberry plants.  I pulled the weeds, removed dead plants, and sorted the small plants from the large healthy plants.
As I was taking pictures, I unintentionally got a couple of selfies.



Comments and questions are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment