Followers

Friday, September 8, 2017

Making Shelves Turned into Saving Water

Last night a project for tomorrow was to make some high shelves by the door on the east wall of the garage.  There has been a leak in one of the irrigation pipes south of house one.  I did know that exact location because of the large wet spot.  When I went out this morning to pick some tomatoes, there was water running down path and it was almost to the door of house two.  The were other areas where I was loosing water.  I decided that today was the day to stop the wasteful flow of water.

I turned the water off at the well.  I drained the water out of the lines by turning on one of the hoses.  I then went back to dig.  Not know just where to dig, I shut the hose off, then turned the water back on.  The water was soon coming up in the hole.  Turned the water off and drained the lines,  I had know idea how deep to dig.  The mud stuck to the shovel making the shovel much heavier.  I pounded the shovel blade on a rock and some mud came off.
 Using three different shovels and a garden trowel, I was able to get to the pipe which was not as deep as I thought and dig out all the soil and mud to expose about three feet of pipe.  It was leaking at the coupler which is near the top of the picture.
I cut the pipe on each side of the coupler starting on the left side.  When I was about half way through saw began to bind.  I devised a lever and twine to hold the pipe up on the right side.  I failed  to mention that the pipe is two inch PVC.   The pipe on the right is two inches higher than the one on the left.  Which, make it impossible to use a compression coupler or an extension.  I decided to four ells and two short nipples.
 Another picture at a different angle.
I really had difficult time making horse show connection.  The first one was to long by about 3/8".  I cut the 'U' in half and put a coupler in the middle.  It was to short by about 3/8".  I was able to undo the connection.  I went to Fillmore and bought all the parts and primer and cement.  The second time I used the cement, I tipped it over and over half of the cement was on the ground.  I use all of it up by gluing the extension together so many times.  I finally got the 'U' part the right length.  I then went back to Fillmore for more cement and a threaded cap.  
The picture below show it all glued together.
Another leak was the hose bib by the corner of my bedroom window.  The pipe comes from the irrigation line to the valve box to water the south lawn.  The top was above ground and the bottom was covered with soil.  I dug it out and I am going hook it back the hose bib stem.  Then it will all be covered.
 In the north west corner of our yard there is a pipe that was used to water our ball and burlap trees.  There were drips going to each one of them.  I don't have trees there any more, but part of our melon garden.  It has be leaking.  I removed the valve and the pressure regulator and capped those two places.
 A banana squash supported of the ground by a stake.  I pruned off all the branches.
 Pomegranates from Carol pomegranate shrub.  She took out the seed and they are in the freezer.
I ended the day by mowing the lawn. It was almost dark by the time I finished.

Comments and questions welcomed.



No comments:

Post a Comment