Followers

Friday, December 22, 2017

Storage Self in Garage

The plan today is to build a shelf on the east wall by the door about two feet from the ceiling.  I had planned on doing this for a long time.  There is a lot of stuff, or junk, stacked against the east wall that has to be removed.  I need room for the ladder.  I watched You Tube videos.  There was one that looked easy to do.  I watch it three or four times.   I would build it on the garage floor and then lift it up and attach it to the studs and the trusses.  I would need a lot of help to hold it up and screw it into the trusses.  The lumber needed is two eight foot 2x4's ripped in half.   I will call these 2x2's or boards.   I screwed the first one to the east wall.

To hold the first 2x2 I screwed two blocks into the wall at the right height.  I placed the board on the blocks.  The screws I used were too long and I could drive them in all the way.  I tried to screw them out which was difficult.  One I could get out.  Using a chisel I split it in half and finally got the block off.  Using a large screw driver and vice grips I got them out.

The next one is screwed to the ceiling trusses which are on two foot centers. I did it several times before I got it right.  That proved to be more difficult than I thought.  I marked the board at two foot centers.  I drilled two holes in each end for the screws.  One end were straight and the other end was at an angle.

I held it up with the other 2x2  I needed some shorter screws which I thought that I would go to Fillmore to get.  I looked for some in the greenhouses and in the garage.  I found enough.  I drilled the holes in the wrong place.  I took it off and dilled new holes.  Finally I got it right.
I cut five 2x4' two feet long.  These are for the vertical pieces.  There is a large piece of plywood by house five that I used for the floor of the shelf.  It was covered with snow.  I swept off the snow and some mud. It was eight feet long and about three feet wide.  I cut off a two foot strip.  I then attached the bottom rail.  The photo below show the finished shelf.
I finished the tool for cutting narrow strips of wood.  The one I made yesterday did work to well.  It sets on the fence.  I can push a board through the saw with my finger safely away from the blade.




Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment