Followers

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Busy Today

It was pretty chilly last  night.  The chicks spent their first night with out and heat.  I checked on them before I went to bed.  All of them were crowded together in the south west corner of the hen house.  This morning they seemed right at home in their new home.  
.This is where I saw the chicks this morning.  They are getting along okay.  
 There was quite a lot of rubbish left over from the roof shingling last winter.  The snow has melted and it is in plain view of anyone that comes to the front door.  Carol asked me to remove it.  The above is on the east side of the front porch.
The above photo is on the west side of the porch.  It is now in the garbage.

I put new bird feed out for the birds.  They have been plentiful and most have pretty coloring.

I put a hook on the east end of the hen house to help hold the frost protection fabric. I screwed in a eye hook and then use a S hook which if the right size for the 1/2 inch conduit.  

I got the back pack sprayer out.  Put a little water in it see if it sill worked.  Surprise.  It did work.  After lunch I filled it with roundup.  The hose came off and the fluid came out.  I lost about a quart of round-up.  I got it back on and stopped the leak.  I tried to put it on my back and one of the straps broke.  I needed to get some webbing straps which meant a trip to Fillmore.  I invited Carol to come with me.  She needed a birthday cards for April.  I got straps and a heat lamp at Ropers.  Carol got her cards at the drugstore.  I needed some spark pugs for the lawn mower.  I didn't take time to remove a plug.  I found the operators manual for the lawnmower.  On the way to Fillmore, I found the plug number.  I got the spark plug and the heat lamp. 
I tilled the grass catcher back and lifted the seat of the hydraulic motors.  They were covered with grass clipping.  I blew off the dust and grass clipping with my blower which really works pretty good. The above photo shows the dust and clippings.  I removed the back spark plug and then the front one.  The plugs were really dirty.
The above photo is after I blew off the dirt.
I removed the rotted, broken straps.  I bought six feet of one inch straps.  I should have bought seven feet.  It took some work, trial and error to get the straps right so they would not come loose.  It was tight putting the sprayer on my back.  I began spraying weeds where we have peonies.  There are two at the bottom of the photo, and one on the left side.  They are dormant now, but the grass is green.   I sprayed all the weeks west of the lawn west of the garage.  
  Above are some saffron plants that I sprayed before I identified them.  I took off the sprayer from my back, got some water and washed off the round-up.  I finished spraying west of the garage and south of our backyard lawn.
There are more saffron plants west of house five.  They are healthy looking plants. 
I   fixed I put the heating lamp in the hen house.   I turned it on.  I came back before it got dark.  Most were under the heating lamp.  I wanted the pink lamp they are gone, so I used a white lamp 

I just came back from seeing how the chicks were doing.  All of them were in the south-west corner of the hen house.  I raised the heat lamp up a little more.  


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment