Followers

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Pipe Clamp Brackets

I worked most of the morning doing ward history.
There are three pieces for each bracket.  I made the top and the side and then the supporting part.  It had 45 degree miters on each end. I laid it on its edge on my miter sled and raised the blade as high as I could but it wasn't high enough. I had to cut it on the left side and then flip it upside down on the right side.  I drilled the holes for the screws in the top piece.   I had a hard time hooking the top of the bracket to the side.  I couldn't hold the parts together and drive in the screws.  I put it in the vice and used a clamp.  I made hole on the top and side piece for the brace.
 I cut pieces for three more brackets.  I drilled the holes in all of them.   The holes on the left are for the brace and the holes on the right is to hook the top to the side piece.
 I used a pipe clamp the hold top piece which is shown at the bottom of the photo to the side piece which is on the right.  I then drove in the screws and none of the pieces would move.  I did the same on the other two brackets.
The braces would not stay in place when driving the screws.  To solve this, I made pilot holes two accept the pointed screw.  Each piece has three holes for three screws.  I ended up with four brackets and I need five.  With five piece there are four slots.
I put 2x2 spacers between each bracket.  I drew lines between each bracket which marked the locations of the screws and which showed where to screw the brackets to the French cleats/  they are shown in the above picture.  The brown bottom piece  which is held to the wall with four lag screws.  Actually there are only three.  One of the lag screws broke.  The brackets a held to the French cleat by three screws.
 The picture above and the two below show the completed project.

In between times I watered and fed the chicks twice.  We went through several cycles of snow, rain, and sunshine today.

This is Merrill Johnson discussing about a few things that I did today I come to the garage and started working on a device to hold up the  pipe clamps.  They have been on the floor and I step on them. Every time I move around. I wanted to put them on the right side of the window where it is close to my gluing bench.  The shorter clamps were there.  I moved them to the left side of the window.  I made a French cleat to hold the five triangle shape.  I made a mistake putting the three pieces together to form the bracket.  I took them apart  and put them together again.  Not much fun.  It helped when I put them in the wood vise which held them secure.  I was able to put in a few screws  on each end all the French cleat now I brought him or the table saw this thing must be full of well it's not full I brought them to the table saw and was able to put them together and finally they got it done and it looks pretty good on the wall this is been quite interesting.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment