Followers

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Delta Planer

Not much going on this morning.
I gathered up all of the left over sweet potatoes and put them in this old kettle and cooked them until they were tender.  I gave some to the chickens.  They quite liked them.  I gave the rest of them this evening.

I started to make a pedestal for a potted plant.   I ripped a 2x4 lengthwise to make the top of the pedestal.  I planed them so the three piece would have the same thickness.  The planer did not work very well.  It made some deep gouges in the wood.  I run them through the planer again to get them out.  They would not feed very well  and I had to push them with a smaller piece of wood.
I did get three pieces glued together.  I wasted some wood on the malfunctioning planer.

I decided to fix it.  I watched several You Tube videos which didn't help very much.  I found the manual which had some instructions of things I could do.  There is one video that had six twenty minute sessions.  The presenter took the whole thing apart cleaned it, and then put it together.  I watched the first three sessions.
Above I removed both ends and the wood shaving reflector.  There are seven bolts to loosen to remove the cutting blades.  I loosened them but couldn't take out the blades.  I use a needle nose plyers to pull them out.  there are two blades and each one has two edges.  The second edges had not been used.  I turned them over and set them properly.  I put everything back together and started it going.  It made an unusually loud noise.  I fed a small piece fir and it was badly gouged and shavings were going all over the place.

I turned it off and reset the blades.  It sounded much better and sent shavings out the back and did some gouging.  I was fairly well pleased.

Richard came this evening.  He will stay the night and go to a funeral in the morning.


Comments and questions are welcome.

1 comment: