Followers

Thursday, April 18, 2019

More Spraying & More Planting

After breakfast and a little news I checked our asparagus plants.  some were ready to be harvested.
Much warmer weather now.  The asparagus hasn't grown much because how cold it has been.  I picked a nice handful this morning.
I planted bunching onions and Detroit Red beets in 105 trays.  I cleaned out this old wading pool that we had for the ducks.  I filled it with one inch of water.  I then put the trays in the water so they get irrigated from the bottom.  I then put them on the bench on the west of house two.
I used a 1206 tray for a planting of sweet corn called peaches and cream.  there are three seeds in each cell.  I bottom watered these also.
All of the six packs look like this one.
I have a tray of celery which should have been transplanted months ago.  they were so root bound that I could hardly pull them out of the six pack.  I cut with a pair of scissors or tore of the roots with my fingers.
I cut a cross in the bottom of some of them.
I planted the celery next to the bunch onions.
I put the parsley in the raised bed between the strawberries and sweet corn.
A closer look at the Curl Leaf parsley.
There are a lot of grassy weeds by the beets that I planted several weeks ago.  The beets are not very thick.  I covered what few there was with small cups and sprayed the weeds with weed killer.
I sprayed weeds on the west side of our yard and those south of house six with three tanks of weed killer.  I then went home teaching.  When I got back I sprayed out another tank.  I feel like I am getting a little control over the weeds.

Emerson Lyman wanted me to prune his fruit trees.  When I got to his house, he was home.  I walked through his orchard of about eight trees.   They are in bad need of pruning.  I think I will do some thin pruning and then have him get an expert pruner next spring.
I got this picture just as the full moon was creeping up over the hill side east of our yard.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment