Followers

Friday, September 20, 2019

Continue Greenhouse Remodeling

I picked a bucketful of cucumbers.  We took most of them to the post office.  The rest we will take to Carol's sister.
There is a tomato plant by the cucumbers.  I cut most of it away and found several large cucumber.  I gave them to the chickens.
In the north east corner of house two is a composting bin.  I put all the plants that had died in the compost and any soil that went with them.  I don't know how long ago that I built it.  But with the remodel, I put the compost in the new raised beds.
After I removed all of the plant material that did not decompose.  I took them on the compost pile west of house six.
I took off the sides which were made out of 2x6 boards.  What you see in the above picture is the compost.
I started carrying the compost a shovel at a time to the new bed.  I could soon see that I needed to do it fast.  I then filled a large nursery can with the compost and carried it to the bed which I will call bed One, because it is the first one on the left.
The above photo shows all of the boards used to make the compost bin.  I took all of the screws out and ended up with a stack of 2x4's.  I needed to cut some to the length of twelve inches.  These were used to connect the 2x6 by twelve feet.  Most of the boards were redwood.  I will use them for making some stools.

I had to pull up all of the weed barrier that we put down years ago.  I cut it off with a pair of scissors.  I pulled it out the north door.
By now the sun was getting high in the sky on these desert 4 O'clock.  I got a good photo.
I brought over a wheelbarrow of recycled potting soil.  I put it on top of the compost on bed one.
 Here is how it is looks after the load of potting soil.  It looks a little dark because I wet it down.
Row bed two:  There is a strip of weed barrier between the doors.  I cut a strip along the right side of the bed.  I brought in two and a half loads of compost that I have out by the road.  

I then brought in three loads of potting soil.


Comments and Questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment