Followers

Thursday, September 5, 2019

Yellow Jackets


I began the morning by picking cucumbers, and three different tomatoes.  Regular, black cherry, and cherry plum.  I pulled four red beets.  There is a lot of eggplants.  I picked a bunch.   A couple of large ones and a couple not so large.   I didn't get any pictures.
I pulled a lot of salad onions.  I cut off the dirty roots, cut off the tops, and then went to the patio, where I cleaned them with the water hose.  I took them into the kitchen and did the final cleaning.  I didn't count them, but had a nice bunch.  
I washed and wrapped the cucumbers. washed the tomatoes and eggplants, and got it all in to the bucket.
I have a five gallon bucket and trapped a lot of yellow jackets.  They have been in the bucket for nearly a month.  I was waiting for them to die.  I decided to spray them with WD-4O.  They slowly died.  There was one large wasp or whatever it might be called.  I didn't spray it directly.  It climbed the wall of the bucket and fell back down.  I kept doing this.  I leaned the bucket nearly to the ground and got the above photo before it climbed out.
It started walk across the patio where I got this picture.  It is two to three inches long.
Here is another photo.  It walked across the patio and walked under the B-grill.  There were a lot of leaves on the patio.  I got the blower and blew them off.  I didn't see the large wasp again.  It tried to fly and maybe it flew away.
I started to pick plums.  There was one plum on the ground that was covered with yellow jackets.  I put an empty pint peanut butter jar on top of the infested plum and quickly put on the lid.  I didn't get the lid on tight.  I put it in the freezer.  and hour or so later I took it out and dumped it on my work bench.  
I counted twenty-five yellow jackets.

I drove to Fillmore and delivered the CSA bucket.
For the last month or so the water from the kitchen sink slow drained out.  I thought that the sink trap was plugged with some egg shells or something like that.  I took off all the pipes.  The part directly from the garbage disposal was held by two screws.  The on the right came out easily.  The screw on the left was a bugger to get out.  I used a socket and vice grips and finally got it out.  A bunch of stems from red beats were stuck in there.  I pulled it out and removed the gasket.  I cleaned away the putty.  A quick trip to Ropers is required to get some parts.

Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment