Followers

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Finished, Stool # 3

During the last couple of weeks I have been building stools.  The idea for stacking stools came to me about a month ago.  The You Tube videos were complicated so I came up with my own plans.
This is the first one.  I made a lot of mistakes and had to take it apart several times and put it back together.  I put the rail flush with the plywood seat, which gave it an unfinished look.  I didn't chamfer the outside edge of the legs.
The second stool went much better, but again I made several mistakes.  I was able to complete it much faster.
I had a four foot 2x2 left over from the second stool.  The four footer was only long enough for three legs.  I cut an other short  piece.  I then ripped the face of all the piece until the dimensions were right.
Here the pieces are ready for sanding.
I sanded the longer piece and then the shorter piece with 40 grit sand paper and then with 120 grit sand paper on all four faces.
I put a chamfer on the edge with a router.
The same on the longer piece.
 Here I am cutting the legs to length. It is easy to cut them with the table saw sled.
The four legs are about fourteen inches long.
I applied glue the corner of the plywood seat.  And then I pinned it three time with my nail gun.  I did the same for each leg until all were glued and pinned.
I used a new eight foot furring strip and rough cut it into four strips about fifteen inches long.
With the stool is upside down, I put a line of glue on the seat.  I then put some glue on each end of the rail.  
I put the rail in place.  I clamped the rail to the bench. which is not in the picture.  I pinned through the leg into the rail.   I did the same on the rest of the legs.  The fit of the last rail was so tight that I didn't put glue on the ends of the rail.  
He it is.  A finished stack of stacking benches.  The rails are nearly fourteen inches long.  I didn't make longer legs because I wanted to test it to see if it would work.  It did work and I am fairly pleased at the results.


Comments and questions are welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment