Followers

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Stool Number Three

The same routine most mornings.  Shower, shave sometimes, watch news, breakfast and more news.

I started by making the legs.  I ripped a four foot 2x4.  I set the width at 1 3/4 inches.  I ripped a 16th of an inch off both sides.  Then I ripped off the last side so that all side were the same width.

I had a short piece which I ripped the same as the one above.  I cut the four legs which were 13 7/8 inches long. 
I clamped each leg in the vice.  With the orbital sanders, I sanded all four sides.  First with 80 grit sandpaper.  Then with 120 grit paper.   The last thing was to chamfer one edge which would be the outside corner edge.  I did this with a router.  

 I ran into all kinds of trouble attaching the legs to the stool top. I glued two legs and the rail to the plywood seat and pinned them with my pin gun.  Then I discovered that I had the chamfer edge toward the inside.  I had to take it apart.  I used a pry bar to take them apart.  It took needle nose plyers to pull out the imbedded pins.  
The photo above shows somewhat of an improvement in connecting the legs to the seat.  I laid the legs flat on the bench.  I put glue on the ends of the legs.  I the put the seat in in an upright positions making sure that the chamfered edge was at the corner of the seat.

I pin gun ran out of pins.  I found some that were much longer and could go through the leg and into the rail.  I pinned the legs and pinned the rails a little off center.  I cut the rails a little larger than the space between the legs.  I trimmed a little of the rail until it had a snug fit.  I glued it and pinned it the legs and rail.  I did that for the four legs  I clamped until the glue set.
I put the stool in the wood vice and sanded the top.
The two stools make a nice stack.  I think that I could stack the third one.  Making that tomorrow.  Larry, Carol's brother, and his wife have been in St George.  They stopped by on their way home.  We had a nice visit.
I took four cutting from the purple plum tomato plant in house six.  They are now in the kitchen window.

Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment