Followers

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Stll Diging Before Their Frozen In

I was walking on the west side past hen house.  I had let the chicken out earlier this morning.  there was a black cat in the chicken run that looked like Socks.  I could not see a tail.  It then made its way out by going under the fence.  The photo does not show the small hole.























West of house five there has been a pretty flower bed growing all summer.  The frost a couple of nights ago froze the annuals.  At the left of the picture are the perennials.










More Saffron flowers are blooming.  I cut the flowers of and took them into the house and remove the stamens.  My little dish has a bunch of them.
We dug some potatoes this morning and some more this afternoon.  Yukon gold is pictured below.  We dug some of these yesterday and dug the rest today.  The potato vines died and dried up several months ago.  The ground is somewhat dry and it had to dig them with a shovel.  I tried a pitchfork and that wasn't any easier.  I have another shovel that is heavy and I don't use it much.  But it worked well with the potatoes.  the blade more pointed and narrow than the other shovels.  I helped a whole bunch.
 We dug all of the Red Lasoda potatoes today.  They are a potato that stores well and does well in hot dry areas.
We also dug the All Blue potato.  they were not very big and tuber is the same color as the soil making it hard to see them.  I didn't get a picture.


I pulled the stake out of the ground using the shovel to dig a little and then hooking to the corner of the stake and pushing the shovel handle down I levered it up.
I coiled up the hose in a figure eight pattern that was used in the melon garden  to prepare for next year.  I can pull the hose back on the garden without and kinks.
On Monday I planted red beets by droping a seed in each cell.  I my plant was to remove the Styrofoam after the beets were going up through the cell.  I moved the Styrofoam today and the covered the seeds with    ?????             and put the Styrofoam back on top of the seeds.  The seeds will not be washed away.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment