Followers

Monday, October 16, 2017

Today's end was Unexpected.



When it warmed up I checked out the greenhouses.  House two was warm and the others were frosted.

From time to time our cat, Tiger, comes into the greenhouse;  Today, he jumped on the bench that I was using.

Yesterday while cleaning in house four, I found some wire baskets.  Below I covered on basket with clear plastic wrap and placed another basket on top of it.  Next spring I can use these two get an early start on melons, cucumbers, etc.


The potting soil in the soil been is powdery dry.  I started to wet it down before lunch and finished after lunch.  It took a lot of watering and stirring to get it all wet.  I filled one 1206 tray with the wet soil.  Later I planted two six packs various seeds which included, basil, cauliflower, cabbage, sweet corn, and pole beans.s
Richard lived with us for about a year a couple of years ago.  One thing he left was this gun safe which his ex  broke it open.  It won't lock any more.  I moved it into house two and to put a couple of shelves in it.  This would give us a handy dry place for some of the tools and supplies we need for planting.  I put some 1x2 runners on each side, and then set a shelf I made out of plywood on top of the runners.
There is a small shelf near the top of the gun safe.  I then added another shelf and put some of the items in it.


The tomato plants in house one have suffered frost damage for about a week now. I started to remove them and put them in the compost pile.  There are two rows in the center.  I removed the tomato clips and pulled out five or six plants in each row.
I planted a fruit tree in the west end of the orchard.  This used to be a plum tree, but it died and a new tree came from the root stalk.  A couple of years ago, it fruited while in the pot.  There weren't very many, but they had a good taste.  While I was watering today, I watered this tree and decided to plant it.


There is a grove of Four-wing Salt Brush.  I don't think these desert plants are in groves.  Many years ago I had gallon pots of the Four-wing Salt Brush in this area on top of some weed barrier.  Most of them didn't sell so I threw them away.  The plants had rooted through the the weed barrier.  I broke of those that had rooted and later the roots produced new stems and plants.  Now they are pretty big.  This evening I started to cut them away.  I would liket to build a fence around the orchard for a new place for chickens and maybe ducks.  The Salt Brush is in the way of this project.  The two photos below show a little of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment