Followers

Monday, September 17, 2018

Hen escaped and is Captured



We have a hen that keeps getting out, but I don't know where.  Last week I covered a place where I thought she was getting out.  Well, she got out again.  This morning I put up three pieces of plywood, where I thought she got out.  She got out again some way through the grape vines.  I put some small tree branches in those grape vines so she can't get out that way.  We will see tomorrow.
 The wind blew this wall a little.  I put a pipe to hold it from tipping the west.
I put another one on the east side to keep it from tipping to the east.
I transplanted another tray of Detroit Red Beets. I put forty at the base of the tomato plants in house six.
 I put forty in the raised bed in house one.  This bed is full of beets.  The youngest on the south end and the oldest on the north end.
We are taking some veggies to Anne, Carol's sister, in Las Vegas Wednesday morning.  I picked all of the nice cucumbers and wrapped them and put them in the fridge in the garage.  This bucket is nearly full.
Our friend, Alison, wanted some. I picked two buckets nearly full.  Carol thought that the buckets should be filled to the top.  I put the large Roma tomatoes on the bottom and the riper ones top.
Instead of piling them high, I used another bucket.  I picked from about twelve vines to fill the buckets.
I got the idea of trellising the tomato plants with horizontal trellises instead of vertical ones.  I tried it with a volunteer black cherry plant.   I drove two tee post on the east and west sides of the plant.  They were about twenty feet apart.  I stretched a blue piece of twine between the two posts.  I then clipped the tomato plant to the piece of twine with TomaHooks.  
The above photo shows it a little better.
This photo shows it even better.
Another close up.
I pruned off all the lower leaves on this row of tomato plants, which are not needed.  All the pruning are in the isle.  It is easy to see the tomatoes.  I also. thin the tomatoes.  There are three or four tomatoes in each cluster.



The isle looks pretty clean.
I picked a large bucket of extra large cucumber and gave them to the chickens. I cut them up with a shovel to make then easier for the chickens to get at the seeds.


Comments and questions are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment