Followers

Friday, February 15, 2019

Leaf Miners and Slugs

I worked most of the morning on an application to renew my line of credit at Zions bank.  There were three pages to complete.  The application called for income and expense figures that to awhile to find.  I took it to Fillmore early this afternoon.  I for got to take my income tax papers.  I brought the application home and Robert Reidhead, the loan office will get it Tuesday afternoon.
I have a terrible infestation of Leaf Miners.  They are destroying beets and chard plants. They are in the older plants and even some of the young seedlings.  The above photo shows them in a large beet plant.

There is an adult fly about the size of a house fly.  It lays eggs into the leaf of the host plant.  The egg hatches into a tiny larva.  The larva grows and emerges as a pupa which falls to the ground and emerges as an adult fly.  I haven't seen the of these except the adult fly.
 I put a few leaves in a bottle attempting to see a mature larva and the pupa.
An update on the home that is being built nest to the garage/shop across the road and down the street from us.
Another home is being built in the north west part of Holden.  I have no idea who is building it or who will move in.
There are some cucumber plants growing in one of the raised beds that are doing poorly.  I dug a hole for a slug trap.  The small cup will fit in the hole.
The cup is filled with beer.  I haven't seen any indication of slugs  in the part of the greenhouse.
I planted these Green Arrow peas about a month ago.  I want to plant them in house six in a couple of weeks.
A new plan for house six.  I have changed my mind several times in house six.  Yesterday I saw a video of trellising tomato plants.  In the center of the pictures is a twelve foot two by six.  Two posts will be erected about ten feet a part.  The two by six will be attached to the top of the posts.  There will be five of them.  Each will be twelve feet apart. The overhead wires will rest on top of them.  The twine and tomahooks will hang from the wires.  In the past they have hung from the bows which causes excess weight on them.


Comments and questions are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment