Followers

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Name Today - Leeks

This morning we watched TV together and then drove to Fillmore for gas and a few groceries.  After lunch I began work in House Two.  I wanted to transplant all of the leeks.  They were in six packs and it took quite awhile.
I began with the leeks by using a dibble and making holes about four inches a part.  I then pulled the leek out of the six pack and put it in the hole.  It was a little tight so I pushed it to the bottom of the hole with long handled tweezers.   The holes are about six inches deep.  When mature they should have a white six inch shaft.
A look at two of the six packs.    These had six leeks in each pack.  Most were missing two or three leeks.  Some were transplanted and they had more plants in the six packs.  Others were direct seeded and germination was a little spotty.
After I had planted some,  I discovered that if I cut off most of the roots it was much easier to put them in the hole.    The roots would fall to the bottom of the hole.
The above photo gives a better view of the size.  They are about fourteen inches long.
I put them in a small pan.
This is a view of the holes and leeks.
This is a view after they were irrigated. I sprayed them with a gentle spray.  The water washed soil into the hole and covered the roots.  More soil will be washed in the roots every time I water.  Eventually the holes will be filled completely with soil.
I pulled radishes and prepared them for the post office where they may be picked up by anyone that might like them.  Some of the radishes split into grotesque shapes.  These I feed to the chickens.
 I pulled quite a bunch.  I used two buckets of water.  I swished them one at a time in the first bucket and the rinse them in the second bucket and then put them on the seventeen inch square tray.
I cut off the stems and leaves.  I made six small plastic bags with six radishes in each bag.
These are the stems and leaves.  I left them outside and will give them to the chickens in the morning.
I pulled up a large radish which I gave to the chickens.  They seem to like them.
Late this afternoon I walked out to the nursery three deer were checking things out. Two are in this picture.  There is a doe and to yearlings.
Here is the doe in house five.  I followed them and they did seem to want to move very fast.
Here is another photo as she is getting closer to the west door of house five.
Here are the two yearlings.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment