Followers

Monday, March 11, 2019

Finished the Post and Cross Beams

The first workday after changing to daylight savings.  The greenhouses are an hour colder.
The sweet potato cutting has got some nice roots.  Next week it will be in a nursery pot in house two next week.

Carol and I went to the graveside services for Carol Masner's mother.  It was pretty cold with a little breeze.  We bought some flowers last week.
These are the flowers.  I was a pallbearer and Carol offered the closing prayers.  
I took one picture of the visiting after the graveside services.
There is a wire on both sides of posts and cross beams.  The are near the top of the post.  I cut a small narrow oak into three inch pieces.  A hole was drilled  in both ends.  I screwed this piece across the wire which held the post in a plumb position. I first screwed it light so move the post left or right.  When it was plumb, I tightened the screws.  I did that for all the posts.  
I also raised the cross beams so it touched the greenhouse bows.  This will help hold the snow load.  I did this to four of them.  The other one was close to a fan.  
Sometimes I had to dig some of the soil away from each side of the post.  Some time I had slide the post forward or backward before it was plumb.
I backfilled around all the post and tamped the soil tight.
I moved the tiller from house three to house six.  I will be tilling on the south side of house six.
I planted another row of Kale. I stretched a string from east to west sixteen inches from the first row.  I then dug a hole every twelve inches with a shovel.  I dropped plants in every hole started with the second hole on the west.  I put on exam gloves to keep my hands from getting dirty.  I started on the west end, cleaned out the hole with my hand, and took the plant from the hole at my right, and stuck it in the first hole.  I continued this until I got to the east end.   This is a good picture of the finished cross pieces.
The first tray of kale were in jumbo packs.  The second tray was in small six packs.  On the left of the above photo are the jumbos and on the right are the small six packs.
Here is the completed row.   I then laid down a dripline, plugged the west end and hooked the east end to the water feed line.    Another look at the finished cross pieces.  
One more picture of the home that is being built a cross the street.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment