Followers

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Red Grass, Tomatoes, & Table

I started work in house two at nine.   Some of the tomato plants in house two have been there since last October.  I kept them for propagating.   There are three different varieties that I don't have seed and I don't think there is any available anywhere.  These are some cross pollination that have occurred naturally in my gardens.
One is called Purple Cherry.  I had one plant in house one.  I took cuttings and had four or five in house six.  It looks like an elongated Black Cherry.   The one I call an Orange Gladiator.  It is like and the same size of the Gladiator, except it is orange.  The one on the right is called Yellow Banana.  Last year the fruit was about two inches long and fairly narrow, hence Yellow Banana.  The are ten cuttings in each quart jar.
There were a lot of legume type weeds growing the north raised bed.  I dug them all up and spaded this bed to get it ready for some parsley plants.
Here is the purple fountain grass.  We have two large pots with a large plant in each one.  I divided one into three parts.  The larges part was put back into the pot and the two smaller parts are # 2 pots.  There is a little green on them.
Yesterday, I transplanted more tomato plants.  There are fifty-four plants in that row.  The blew twine marks the next row.  The plants are eighteen inches apart and there is eighteen inches between the two rows.
The above photo shows the holes I dug.  I dug the holes with a small trenching shovel.  I then put a plant in each hole and packed the soil around it.  Then on my knees I put the tomato plant in the hole and with both hands filled the hole with soil.
I discovered that I hadn't planted any Black Cherry tomato plants.  I found some seeds and planted one half tray.
I made this table for house two.  It is my contention that there is not ever enough benches or table tops for all the junk.  I built this bench with a 2x4 piece of plywood and a couple of six feet 2x4's The table rails or skirt are out of 2x4's.  The four legs are made of two foot 2x2's
The above photo shows the construction of the skirt and leg.  The skirts are held together with nails and screws.  The legs are held to the skirt with screws.  I drilled holes the skirt and screwed in the screws.  I was easy and quite fast and seems to be pretty secure.
There it is all together with a few trays on top.
Here it is with more trays.
For supper I had beet greens.  I cooked them for about forty minutes.  The are really dark and tasted so good.  These were planted last fall in house six.

The seeds that I ordered for Alisha came this morning.  I ordered pole beans and salad onions this morning.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment