Followers

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Transplanting

We woke up to snow again.  By late morning there was 2-3 inches of snow on the lawn.  At nine we watched the channel eleven tv show.  "Wind at my Back"

After lunch I worked in House Six.  It is cold outside, but in the greenhouses it is around eighty-five degrees.  In fact I took of my jacket.
I have two trays of Green Arrow peas in House Two.  One trays is quite tall, but the plants in the  other tray are much smaller.  I transplanted them at the edge of the hoops in House Six.  I dug separated holes for each plant on the south side of the hoops.  I was muddy, so I laid down a rubber pad to kneel on.  The drip line was set out yesterday. 
The above photo is of one plant.  It is on a sixteen inch block.  The plant is 10-14 inches long.
I don't know why this photo is washed out.  On the north side I dug a trench beginning at the east end and ending at the west end of the hoop.  I pulled the plant out of the six pack and laid them edge to edge along the hoop.   The taller ones are on the left and the shorter ones are on the right.  
I then covered the roots with soil.  I ran a drip line from the feed pipe to the end of the hoops.  There are two hoops.   Last year I planted cucumbers.  The vines climbed the hoops.  
The last thing was transplanting was the geraniums.  I transplanted some of them a couple of weeks ago and transplanted the rest of them this afternoon.  I ended up with 241 plants.  The ward will need 160 for Mother's Day.  That leaves 81 plants for our garden.   I planted Three hundred seeds in December.  The square pot fits the hole.  I hold the plant with my left hand and drag the soil into the pot with my right hand.  I reach under the bench and push up the pot.


Comments and questions are welcome.





No comments:

Post a Comment