Followers

Monday, March 18, 2019

The Tub and Timer Fix

Monday morning is laundry day.  Carol washed the sheets and dirty clothing from Sunday.   We made the beds.

 One of the faucets at the tub has leaked for a long time.  I tried to fix it a couple of months ago. The valve seats looked ok, but the washers looked bad so I replaced them.  I told Carol last night that I would try again.  I have two new valve seats that I would install.  
I thought that the hot water side was the one that was leaking.  I have to go down in the crawl space and in the far south east corner is the location of the valve.  I would go down and turn off the water and then come back to see if there is any water leaking.  I made this trip three or four times.  The water was still leaking.  I the turned off the water and removed the cold water side.
I replaced the valve seat and gasket, turned on the water, and sure enough the leak had stopped.  There was a tiny nick in the valve seat.
I went to work at the greenhouses.  There was one large slug in the cup of beer that wasn't there yesterday.  The other cups except one contained some small slugs.  You can see the little slugs in the photo above.
The sweet potato slip is well rooted.  I put it in the quart pot.  It is to cold to plant them out side.  It may grow big enough to for another cutting.
 I got another photo of the leeks.  Every time I water them, a little bit of soil washes into the hole.  The force and weight of the water causes some of them to lay down.
The plants in house six was not getting any water.  Strange.  I put in a new battery yesterday afternoon.  I thought I had the water come on every two hours for twenty minutes.  What really happened was the water would turn on every two days for twenty minutes.  I changed it and it is now working perfectly.
There are nine Juliet tomato plants.  I was going to plant one in house six and but two gallon milk jugs filled with water on each side.  The furnace is not working and the two jugs of water would keep them from freezing.  Instead of one I planted all nine.
I stretched a piece of twine from the post on the east end to the cement brick on the left.  I brought a frost barrier.  I will cover them at night and uncover each morning.
It makes a tidy small tent.
I am planning on planting Green Arrow peas tomorrow afternoon.  I started soaking them this afternoon.  We are expecting rain Wednesday.
Many of the plants in house two were getting pretty dry.  I watered everything in house two.
The acorns from last year have been in the fridge all winter.  A month ago I covered them  with potting soil.  I planned on offering them for sale on Face Book.  Ten for twelve dollars with free shipping.  I filled the tublings with potting soil.
I cover the tray with the above template.  I can then fill the cell with out getting soil between the tubes.
 Here is the filled tray.  The white things are pieces of perlites.

I soaked them with water.  Then I poke a pencil in the center of the tube to make a hole for the root.
This is an acorn with a long root.  Some were nearly six inches long. You can see the hair foots.  I cut off the end of some roots because I can't get the root two go down the hole.
This tray has ninety-six tubs.  Each one has an acorn and root.
There was a lot of the grubs.  They were growing inside of the acorn.
This is the acorns are showing  radicals, these are then ones I hope to sale.
This group of acorns is what is in the bag below.
here is a zip bag containing six or seven acorns.
The work on the Bray home across the road is beginning to come up. I think they digging a trench for the gas and water lines.
In this photo my back is to the southwest.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment