Followers

Friday, June 29, 2018

Plenty of Help This Afternoon

The first thing after breakfast was to plant the corn and peppers.
We planted two rows of the Peaches and Cream sweet corn.  They are the two rows on the right.  The first row I dug holes with a garden trowel.  The ground was hard and dry. Carol handed the transplant plug to me and I put it in the hole and covered it up except for the little shoots sticking up.

I made a new row for the peppers which are on the left.  I strung a line to make it straight and followed that line with the tiller.  I used a hoe to pull the dry soil on the north side.  With a shovel I make holes all the way to the end about eighteen inches apart.  We then run water down the rows.  I gave each plant a teaspoon of fertilizer.
The rest of the morning I worked in house one pruning the tomato plants.  There were a lot that needed pruning.  I hooked the new growth to trellising twine.  I removed the cut branches.  Later in the day on my hands and knees I hoed out the weeds.
Help came.   On the left are children and grandchildren of Frank Williams who is one of the partners in this project.  Diane, another partner, and her two children are on the right. 

They were here for about two hours.  They picked the tomatoes and scallions.  The washed the scallions and banded them into groups of five.  I think that there are over a hundred groups.
I planted another tray of red beets.  The tray above was planted a week ago.  Some are germinating now. 
There is not any native plant much prettier than this one.  Perityle stansburyi 
I run water down the row on each side of this hoop.  The water will germinate the weeds and I can spray them with weed killer.
I put a netting over a hole in the chicken the space where the I thought that a chicken is getting out.
I took this picture a squash plant.  The earwigs are eating it up.


Comments and questions are welcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment