Followers

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Dreaded Puncture Vine

I went to the post office to pick up the mail and on the way home I noticed this tall yuca plant that is budded
I got my camera, smart phone, and took the above picture of the yuca.  The top buds were thickly covered with brownish aphids. The yuca stem is about five feet tall.
While walking over to the yuca, the Puncture vine, Tribulus terrestris, was everywhere.  Some where small seedlings and others had long vines with ripe seeds, called goat heads, with sharp points ready to cling a shoe or to the foot of some animal.
Using my heavy shovel I dug up all of them except for a few that were in part of the driveway that contained a lot of rocks.  l filled a large nursey can with the puncture vine.   
I walked to the row of green arrow peas to see how close they were to harvest.  There may be some ready for Sunday Dinner.
 I dug a lot of wild lettuce in and around the strawberries.  I threw a bunch of them into the chicken run.  The scared the chickens.  One hen flew up and got caught in the twine that I use to hang the lettuce.  I quickly took the above picture and removed the twine.
I worked for over an hour pruning the trees and vines just west of the hen house and the chicken run.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment