Followers

Friday, June 22, 2018

Weeds are Everywhere.

One of the first things this morning was to turn off the water.  The sprinklers had been running all night and the lawn was well watered.
Yellow jackets have a nest on the ceiling of the front porch.  I got a ladder and a plastic shopping grocery bag.  The nest was in an awkward spot and I could not reach it from the ladder.  I got my ten foot PVC pipe.  I secured the bag at the bottom end of the pipe and reached up with the other end and knocked the nest loose.  The nest fell through the pipe and into the bag.  I smashed the bag on the driveway and put it into the garbage.  A couple of wasp didn't fall through the pipe.
The above picture is the garden in the south west corner of our yard.  With a shovel I cut down all the weeds except morning glory.  I had hoped to have planted our melons and watermelons out there.  Didn't get it done.
I went to house two.  I took a picture of the sweet corn which I planted last week.  It is beginning to germinate.  
I went to work digging and pulling the weeds in the raised beds.  There were a few beds that I pulled up all the plant material that was finished or that was not edible any more.  There was a wire trellis for some peas that had died back.  I took it outside.
 
I picked eleven large cucumbers.  That was a pretty good picking for one day.  
 The above cucumber is a greenhouse cucumber that Robert planted.  It is about five inches long.
Carol took our cucumbers to the post office.  They were about all gone before she left.
I wanted to plant some red beets for weeks now.  I got it today.  There are  cells in this tray.  I put a seed in each cell.
 The cells in the 105 tray dry out so fast in this hot weather.  How am I going to keep the soil moist.  I have some plastic wrap the I've had for years.  I made stand to hold the wrap
 The wrap was wide enough to cover the 1020 webbed tray.
 I used theme clips to hold the wrap on the tray.  Two on each end and two on the sides.
The above picture is tray with the plastic underneath with the clips showing.
Here the tray is upside down with a weight on the top.  That will prevent cats or some small animal to move the tray.

We went to Fillmore for some wire and more plants.  We planted them in front of the house.

Comments and questions are welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment