Followers

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Nature's Swamp Cooler

I has been hot from 9 a.m. until the sun went down.  House one is shaded some until 11 a.m.
In house one there are six isles.  The above photo show the space between the isle.  There are two rows of tomatoes.  Using a stirrup hoe I was able to get most of the weeds.  The using the same hoe, I was able to hoe out most of the weeds on both sides of the isle and then down the middle.  There are two rows where I can't walk in the space between the plants.  I crawled on my hand and knees using a short handled stirrup hoe.  I have hoed out most of the weeds.
It is pretty hot in house two. I pulled most of the weeds in the raised beds.  There were some where I had to cut the roots with a pair of scissors.  Most of those were annual grasses.  
 I picked a nice batch of strawberries.  After I finished I put to hose on them and watered them well.   
I soaked the above raised bed preparing it for sweet potatoes.  There are four rooted quart pots and a rooted sweet potato in a quart bottle.  I dug five deep holes and put each plant in the hole and filled it water and soil.  They are looking pretty good.

The raspberry plants are doing well and should have some large berries if they are properly watered.  Years ago I made this portable sprinkler.  It has been in the far backyard.  I positioned it on the north east corner of the raspberry patch.  It was to tall to be able to adjust the coverage.  I had to remove a couple of large nipples which to two pipe wrenches and one five foot heavy pipe.  I finally got it adjusted.  I turned on the water for an all night spray.  
I took pictures of a couple of native plants.  Above is that of Dorr's Sage, Salvia dorrii.  It is quit pretty but the flowers don't last long.  I will havest the seeds when they are ripe.
This is a photo of Curl leaf Mountain Mohogany, Cercocarpus ledifolius, growing in our dry garden.  It is about five feet tall.  It needs some pruning. 
 In the heat of the day I dug weeds south of the asparagus.
The above picture shows a row of tomatoes, peas, onions, and another row of tomatoes.  I strung another trellis twine for the peas,  I watered the res of the plants.  Carol and I weeded the onions.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment