Followers

Friday, June 15, 2018

Hot and Windy




Our chickens are doing quite a lot of flying now.  This hen flew on top of the hen house.  With a long stick I encouraged her to fly down.
Carol wanted me to take down the geranium basket so she could do some dead heading.  I took it down and put it in a larger basket, added more soil, and hung it back.
The corn in house two has been doing very well.  From time to time I would squeeze the ears to see if there were any kernels.  I could feel some and also feel places where there were no kernels.  I picked it today.  It was not ripe and there were a lot of places where pollination did not occur.  I gave it to the chickens, and they did not know what to do with it. 
The potato plants have little holes in the leaves which I thing were made by flea beetles.  I made a mix as described online.  One part rubbing alcohol, five parts water, and a tablespoon of liquid dish soap.  I put it in the sprayer and sprayed our two rows of potatoes.  It should have been sprayed a couple of weeks ago.

A home caregiver brought Carol a C-PAC.  She was here for over an hour explaining the breathing device works.  Water is used to maintain the humidity.   It required distilled water.  I drove to Fillmore and bought two gallons.  I also bought motor oil for the lawnmower, chicken scratch and lay pellets, and hamburger buns.

I weeded the strawberry patch.  Much of the weeding was on my hands and knees using my pocket knife cutting weeds close to the strawberry plants.  Most of the weeds were wild lettuce, crabgrass, and mallow.  The above two pictures are from the back of he garden looking east.
I have not planted any corn in the garden.  I made two rows for the sweet corn and was going to directly seed it.  Today I changed my mind and planted two seeds in each cell of this 1206 tray and I planted two trays.  They should be ready to plant out in a couple of weeks.  I covered them with potting soil.
At the end of the day, there was still time left before the 5:30 news.  I pulled weeds from several different pots.
This evening I had a little time to make these Toma Hooks.  I would call this photo a fistie instead of a selfie.



Comments and questions are welcome.
  



 




  T

    a


No comments:

Post a Comment