Followers

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Rotten Tomatoes, and Cucumbers

A couple of days ago I pulled out all of the Green Arrow peas.
Here is a tray of crookneck and zucchini squash, and watermelon plants.  I took them out to the garden and planted the squash plants and one watermelon plant.
The plants were really leggy.  The have been outside in the shade south of house one. I dug six holes with a shovel for one six pack.  I then planted them and the went to the next six holes.   Most were easy to remove from the jumbo packs.   I lost a couple.  I walked to house two where I left my scissors. I got my scissors to cut the pack apart.  That didn't work.  I walked back to house two to get my pruners.  They didn't work either.  I got Carol's vegetable scissors.  They worked.  I planted the pot.
I tied up the cucumber plants again.  There were several branching that I pruned.  The above picture shows a couple of branches.  The one on the right shows a tiny cucumber that I should have pruned it above.
I finished hanging the cucumbers.  Before I pick tomatoes, I picked all of those that had rotted.  They were touching the ground or had cracks and were attacked by sap beetles.  I fed them to the chickens.  They really went after the sap beetles.
Carol and I are the Grand Marshals for the 24th of July parade.  I cleaned the truck inside and out with the blower and vacuum.  It was pretty dirty.
 The above photo is of our almond tree.
The next one is of the fruits of the almond tree.

We drove to Fillmore for groceries and balloons.  We will decorate our truck with the balloons.

There are a lot of yellow jackets in our yard or maybe they are called wasps.  They eat our grapes when the begin to get ripe.  The wasp go back to their nest after the sun goes down.  I put my hand into a plastic grocery bag.  I grab the wasp nest, pull it off and then wrap it up in a ball so the wasps can't escape.  I then stepped on it and put it in the garbage.  I had four bags.   I got some more from the house and went back in the hen house.  Instead of wrapping them up, I just held the loops of the bag and got another nest.  I had three bags.  The wasp crawled out of the bags and stung me numerous times on the back of both hands.  I dropped them and stomped on them.  a couple of fingers between my hand and the first knuckle began to swell.  By the time I went to bed the pain had subsided considerably.

I found more wasp nests.  Several were in the truck.  Not in the cab.  But in different places.  I sprayed all of them with WD-40.
I have a #1 nursery can attached to the greenhouse wall.  I wrap an extension cord around it to keep it off the ground.  The wasps built a nest inside of it.  A couple of shots of WD-40 killed them dead.



Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment