Followers

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Relish, Jam, & Vegetable Bucket

Carol got everything ready for making relish.  After breakfast we started.  I shredded the onions, peppers, and cucumbers.  The onions and cucumber were from our garden.
It made nine pints and one half pint.
There has been a leek in one of the irrigation pipes west of the hen house. It has been a breeding place for mosquitos.   I turned off the water and then unscrewed the hose bib stem.  The photo shows the water draining out of the pipe.
I put the hose bib stem back in and turned back on the water.  I have to walk up to the south east corner of our yard to where the well is to turn off and turn on the water.  With the water on I can find the leak.
Just above the arrow, I found the leak.  With a large pipe wrench, I tried to unscrew the leaking part.  I couldn't turn it.
I cut out a section that was leaking.  While in Fillmore I bought some replacement parts.  It was raining lightly when I put it back together.  I walked back to the well and turned the water back on.  There was a small leak.  I screwed the hose bib stem more and stopped the leak.
Here is the finished project.  I will back fill tomorrow.
The photo should have been in yesterdays blog, but I took it today, so here it is.

We drove to Fillmore for some more bottles and pectin for apricot and pineapple jam.  We also took a bucket of vegetables for Kim Christensen.  It took me a couple of hours to prepare the vegetables.
We made two batches.  There was a little left over for a bread and jam treat.  It was really good.
 We planted corn last Thursday, a week ago tomorrow.  It is coming up.
 I had an hour or so to work in house six.  I pruned off some branches on the tomato plants.  I also, pruned off some of the leaves.  With the leaves gone, it is much easier to see the tomatoes.
There are a lot of spoiled tomatoes.  Some were touching the ground, others cracked and aloud an opening for sap beetles to enter.
There were some that had partial defects.  I took them to the house and cleaned them up.  I ate some of the for a late evening treat.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment